Caring for your Custom Cabinets
We use a conversion varnish as the finished top coat of our custom cabinets. This is a highly durable finish and considered the best top coat in the industry. In addition to durability, the benefits of a conversion varnish top coat are increased chemical and moisture resistance, color and sheen protection, and finish elasticity.
Even with such a finish, we recommend that you heed the following guidelines to maintain the beauty of your DRAPER♦DBS custom cabinets.
To make cleaning easier and to freshen appearance, we suggest polishing bi-weekly with Old English® Lemon Oil or Old English® Scratch Cover. These will “finish-off” the surface, removing finger marks or any residue from daily cleaning. These products will not add any build-up to the surface, will not alter the sheen after drying, nor will they sink in and soften the top coat, as polish with silicone and wax will.
- For sticky spills, use a cloth dampened with mild soapy water; use a dishwashing liquid such as Dawn® or Joy®
- For dusty surfaces, spray a non-wax dust-attracting agent very lightly on a cloth and wipe the surface clean.
- Do not spray this agent directly on the furniture, and avoid saturating the cloth with the agent.
- Use mild soapy water to spot clean; use a dishwashing liquid such as Dawn® or Joy®.
- Always use a soft cloth. Avoid using a rough or abrasive cloth, which could damage the surface.
- Always apply cleaner first to a clean cloth then to the furniture; do not apply cleaner directly to the furniture.
- To remove oily fingerprints, use the cleaner that we provided with your purchase.
- To remove stubborn stains, consult with your designer, who may recommend rubbing alcohol or diluting mineral spirits with water in a 50/50 solution.
- In severe cases, or for tough spills such as nail polish or remover, contact your authorized DRAPER♦DBS dealer showroom to arrange for service.
- Diffuse sunlight with appropriate window treatments if your cabinetry receives extended periods of direct sunlight.
- Keep your home at an evenly maintained temperature and humidity.
- Position furniture away from excessive heat or air conditioning sources.
- Follow the daily and periodic care guidelines listed here.
- Use polish containing silicone, such as Behold® and Pledge®.
- Use cleaning products which may contain silicone, such as Murphy’s Oil Soap®.
- Use paste waxes of any kind.
- Allow spills to remain without prompt removal.
- Use abrasive pads or abrasive products, such as Scotch-Brite®.